Monday, September 12, 2005

KnightErrant Returns, 9/11, and Tom DeLay.

Well, after a long week of the local Community Fair, I believe I can probably manage a few posts again. I'm an assistant scoutmaster for the local boy scout troop, and we run an archery and BB gun range at the fair every year. Plus, we march in the fair parade.

Well, in return for my volunteering I:

* Got indigestion from the multitude of fried fair foods.
* Was frustrated by the boys misbehaving and not being very Scoutlike.
* Got a cold.
* Almost got shot in the face by an arrow.
* Am still pretty sore.

Oh well.

**********

Anyway, so today (or yesterday, rather... it being past midnight) was the anniversary of September, 11th. I commemorated the event by sleeping in late and not watching television the entire day. I really couldn't have taken the politicians twisting the memory of all those people to their own ends.

Don't get me wrong here: 9/11 was a gut-wrenchingly terrible event... But as one of the seemingly few people in America left that can distinguish between "Patriotism" and "Nationalism," the Poli-ticks doing their spinning makes me want to puke.

Frankly, I think the "Towers of Light" are the best tribute. Something silent and a little bit inescapable. If the families want to read off the names, that's okay too. It gives a bit of perspective. But the next politician to try to gain political capital off this needs to be given an Atomic Wedgie. Seriously.

**********

Moving on (Eventful times, and here I was not blogging it. Stupid fair.)... It's just a footnote in the whole New Orleans catastrophe, but it's still noteworthy. The Huston Chronicle's "DomeBlog" reported this...

(Paraphrasing)Tom DeLay visited the Astrodome to see living conditions there. He talked to three young boys, compared the experience to camping... and asked, "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?"

"Is this kind of fun?" Is it fun, boys? Was it fun, watching your city be destroyed? Was if fun watching people die horrible deaths? Was it fun living in filth until someone finally decided you should be rescued? Is it fun that you're now a refugee (I don't care if the term is not preferred, that's what they are!)living in a sports arena?

Why do we elect such detached clueless idiots? I don't know.

1 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*headdeskfacepalmheadwall*

I swear, this kind of thing makes me want to hurt all politicians.

All of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home