Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Stop Asking Me to Fix Your Computer!!!

Okay. So almost two years ago, I taught computer courses for about three months. So far so good.

Today, I got an e-mail from a former student saying, in a nutshell: "Hi! How are you? Find a job yet? My computer is broke. I deleted the printer and my digital camera software says there is a bad file. Can you fix it?"

I resisted temptation to write "Hi! Fine! Yep! No way!"

But I was kind enough to, from the really simplistic explanations ("Delete" a printer, eh?), give a hopefully functional rundown of the repairs she needed to perform.

Short of my standard fee, I'm not making a housecall.

So let me put it like this, for all the people who know a computer geek and only contact him when your computer is broke:

Uncool.

#1) Computer geeks are people too. They don't appreciate that kind of thing. At least be kind enough to only bug computer geeks you personally know. Not talking to you for two years and then getting asked to help fix a computer isn't nifty.

#2) Don't be too impatient or harsh. We do our best, but are oftentimes busy. Especially don't be impatient if we're fixing it for free; that's just mean.

#3) And if nothing else, if the geek goes out of his way to help you (and they likely will), offer some compensation. A couple of bucks is never unwelcome. I'm not asking to give him a month's worth of pay or your firstborn child; but is a few dollars (or some baked goods, if you're a good cook! :) ) really too much to ask?

But I'm off to bed. Rock on. And BE NICE to the GEEKS.

3 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger La said...

hmmmm... do I detect a pet peeve?

Quick, something's wrong with my computer! When I press the on button, nothing happens! What do I do?? Please help me! I need to know how to fix this, like yesterday! Time is of the essence! Now, computer geek, now!!

okay, sorry. I just couldn't help myself. I have this unfortunate tic where I find a hot button and I must press it! ....can't....stop....the urge!!

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you fix my computer, I'll let you come to Pittsburgh and sit in my house and taste-test all of my baked goods as I bake them, next time I bake. :D

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

..That last comment was me, by the way. :/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home