Monday, July 04, 2005

Thought Showers...?

Ooo-kay, I really have to rant on this for a bit.

Ireland's Department of Enterprise, Trade, and Investment has deemed that the buzzword "Brainstorm" can no longer be used because it may offend people with epilepsy. DETI employees are to use the term "Thought Shower" instead.

Sorry, that requires mocking.

Haven't these people more better things to do with their time? Do they have a Department of Political Correctness somewhere combing the dictionary?

I don't know about you, but if I had epilepsy (I don't, but if I did), I think I would be upset, not by the buzzword, but by the fact these thought-showering idiots would believe me to be so shallow as to be offended by "Brainstorm." I can almost guarantee that the person who decided "Brainstorm" was offensive had no brain affliction other than stupidity.

This is even more dim-witted than Los Angeles County banning the term "Master" and "Slave" in reference to computer hard drives. (It worked for decades until some LA jackass decided it was offensive.) Or feminists that are offended by the phrase "rule of thumb." (It’s just a phrase, DAMN IT!!!) Or any other dozen examples I can give, but they get me too agitated for me to think about.

There needs to be a point where we step back and say, "I'm sorry you’re offended, but you are just going to have to deal with it." The sooner that point is reached, the less general sanity will be destroyed.

Now, to all you PC Hunter-Seekers… Put down your dictionaries. Stop wasting people's time and money, and get back to doing real work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home