Monday, June 20, 2005

Grand Theft Auto Doesn't Kill People, Whacko Fucktards Kill People

I ran across an article this fine evening. It was entitled "Can A Video Game Lead To Murder?" It was, of course, about the Grand Theft Auto series, and the supposed link between the videogame and real-world violence, highlighting where a teenager with no prior record killed three people and stole a car.

My thoughts on this link? Let me speak simply, so as all can understand.

BULLSHIT.

Once more, so the thick-skulled people can get it:

BULL. SHIT.

There is no "link." Video games do not "program people to kill." They are an excuse, a scapegoat. People go "Well, obviously, this child could NEVER have done this by himself. Let's blame the video game!" It makes people feel better that the cause of the terrible violence perpetrated was a "what" rather than a "who." All they have to do is pick the most violent video game around at the time, and demonize it.

It used to be "Doom." And then it was "Mortal Kombat." Now it's "Grand Theft Auto."

Kids, I've been playing video games as far back as I can remember. I've played Doom, and Mortal Kombat, and Grand Theft Auto. I've also played Halo, Unreal, Diablo, Duke-Nukem, and Half-Life. I've played more violent video games and experienced more virtual death and destruction than I can accurately recall. I even played this one game (the name, I forget), where you play an insane asylum inmate who is being hunted by the other inmates. The more violently you kill the other inmates, the higher you score! Wow, talk about gory!

The net effect of years of playing violent video games constantly?

Well, the last time I got into a (real) fight was 1996, and I didn't even start it. I use capture and release mouse traps, because I think ones that kill are inhumane (especially the glue ones!). I once spent an hour at work chasing a bird out of the store because I didn't want it to get trapped and starve.

Wow, man. Video games have made me stone-cold.

No sirs, sorry. If this kid killed people, it was the KID's FAULT. Not the video game, not Sony, not Take Two Interactive, not Wal-Mart... THE KID. HE killed three people. HE stole a car to try to get away. HE committed the crimes! I don't care if he didn't have a "prior record." All scumbags start somewhere.

Taking a quote from CBS here:


"There's plenty of blame to go around. The fact is we think Devin Moore is responsible for what he did," says Thompson. "But we think that the adults who created these games and, in effect, programmed Devon Moore and assisted him to kill are responsible, at least civilly."


"Programmed" him? "Assisted" him? Bullcrap. The programmers were working on GTA thinking "Dude, let's create an awesome game!" not "Dude, I hope that anyone who plays this game becomes a murderer!" Forgive me for my cynicism, but I think the key phrase here is "responsible, at least civilly." I have no doubt that some parties involved are grieving for loved ones lost and are merely lashing out so they feel vindicated, but Mr. Thompson, a lawyer and "crusader against video game violence" is thinking (however it is he justifies it to himself with the whole "doing it for the children" angle or whatnot) "Oooh, I can make MONEY off this!" Another example of sue-happy America!

So, to sum all my points up in a tidy little nutshell:

- If someone kills someone else, they haven't been "programmed." They're just sick fucktards. Refer to my earlier post on murderers being nuts.

- Video games have little to nothing to do with violence by these whackjobs. They merely act as a sacrificial lamb on the altar of public opinion, and reigning in "video game violence" will ultimately have no effect on actual crime rates.

- I'm not fond of lawyers. (I know they're not all bad... But that "few bad apples spoil the bunch" saying applies here.)

And one final thing. It says this guy purchased GTA as a minor. Parents: remember, there are ratings attached to the video games for a reason! If I hear one more time about how kids " turned violent after playing mature-rated video games" I'm gonna scream. Really.

But that's all I got, folks. Rock on.

1 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger La said...

Let the fun times roll... see, now I get why I love blogs so much. It's a beautiful thing to read an articuliate (sp?) rant. Plus, you've got good, no great points.

And what's the deal with you not posting everyday? Lazy bum. Let's see a little less absenteeism and a little more dedication.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home