Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Mackenzies of the World... Sorry

To any lady named Mackenzie who loves their name, I apologize. But I must rant on your name.

Mackenzie (and its variations) has become a really popular name for girls. It hit #41 in 2001 on the list of most popular names, and is still in the 40’s, I believe. Which leaves me with just one question...

Why do people name their daughters Mackenzie?

I really, really want to know. I've a majority of Irish and Scottish blood, so I have nothing against Celtic names. Quite the contrary, I absolutely love them. Uniquely spelled, uniquely spoken, many Celtic names are unique and grotesquely underused.

But for God's sake... MACKENZIE?

The name is a male name. Kenzie is a corruption of a Celtic name roughly amounting to Kenneth. "Mac" means "Son of." So therefore, there are a bunch of people naming their daughters what amounts to "Ken's son." See my problem here? Not only are you using a last name as a first name (which is valid, I suppose), but the name is not feminine. In fact, "Mac"-anything is, by definition, masculine. You might as well name your baby girl "Fred."

If you REALLY want a Celtic name, how about Maeve? I love that name. Or Siobhan! Or Rhiannon! Or Caitlin, if you want something somewhat trendy and easy to pronounce...

But lay off Mackenzie. Please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home