Friday, May 20, 2005

Revenge of the Sith Review

It's okay folks! The suckfest is over! You are now free to once again enjoy Star Wars!

Yes, the first two movies were pretty bad. A friend of mine calculated that if you removed all the crap, Attack of the Clones would be about a half-hour long. The Phantom Menace? About five minutes.

Revenge of the Sith, aside from some badly stilted dialouge, would still be mostly intact.

After A Phantom Menace, my faith in the series as a whole was shaken quite a bit. I stopped purchasing every piece of Star Wars fiction that came down the pipe. I don't even own a copy of Attack of the Clones. (I managed to convince myself I liked it long enough to buy a copy of Ep. I, but after watching it again, I had to come to terms with reality).

Fortunatly, Sith is one I will not be ashamed to have on my shelf. It is excellent.

Aside from some seriously wooden dialouge, it is amazing.

First off... I'm going to let you in on a BIG secret: Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader? Yeah, they're the same guy!

Whoops, you already knew that. Ah well.

Anyway, the storyline is pretty well known. It's all about the fall of Anakin Skywalker, as well as the transformation of the galactic Republic into the Empire.

And I must say: He fell, hard and fast. Shockingly so. It hurt to watch at points.

Nasty stuff. Many, many Jedi die.

It was kind of sad. Being a fan of Star Wars fiction, I often purchased the comics and books avalible beyond the movies. And, of course, every Jedi that the movie made a point of killing was actually a well developed character in the supplementry fiction. For about five minutes, I was sitting there going "Geez, that had to hurt. Ah, not her too! Oh, man! They're killing all of them! C'mon, he would've put up a better fight than THAT!"

Oh well. Nothing halts character development faster than the said character being killed in a huge fireball. Or being shot, many many times.

But, that being said: Most of you already know how it ends. What leads up to it is pretty damn cool as well. It's not the greatest movie of all time, but it is still darn good.

KnightErrant's Final Grade for Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith: A low end but respectable A-.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home