Wednesday, May 18, 2005

SSN's as College IDs = Bad idea.

So I was reading on CNET news about Social Security Numbers, and how the government is finally deciding that letting people buy and sell such information is probably a bad idea.

Hell, I could've told you that. Having everything financial tied into one number that can never be changed never seemed like a good plan to me. Once it's out, you are toast.

Not to mention, they tend to be used friviolously. A few good friends of mine go to Kent State University. I was horrified to learn that at Kent, they use the student's SSNs as their student ID! When I was applying for temporary parking permission, my friend had to give her social security number, so it could be logged in a big book.

So, sitting on counters in several buildings at KSU, there are large books full of hundreds of student names with their social security numbers. I wonder how many students are victims of fraud because of this?

Ironically, it's my backwards country college that has the right idea: issuing unique ID's limited to just the school. Doesn't take much extra time or resources to figure out your own damn system, and it's a lot more secure. After all, who the hell wants your college ID number if that's all it's good for?

Ah well, I'll keep the ranting short.

Rock on, kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home