Wednesday, May 25, 2005

French Fries on Salads

For some damnable reason, my Hatsumi Guide is suddenly scoring a lot of hits. What did she do this time, lick one of the PlayStation 3 prototypes at E3? I don't know. Ah well, it's getting me page hits.

Anyway, I have been hanging out a lot with a friend home on leave from the military. He's an Air Force Raven, which while not as prominent in movies as SEALs or such, is pretty damn cool. Let me put it thusly: He rides camels through the Sahara, deals with Mafiosos in Russia, sleeps on a C-130 in South Africa, ends up in the alps in Italy, and guards senators in Cape Verde... Sometimes the same week. (Well, the Alps and the Sahara was in one week, and there was other stuff that I forget. The Russian mob and the Cape Verde were different occasions.) He has a map of the world, and each country he's been in has a pushpin stuck in it.

Damned thing looks like a porcupine went apeshit on it.

*****************************

Something else I must share! Not sure how this conversation got started, but over the weekend I had a talk about salad. And french fries.

For those of you who are NOT within an hour's drive of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, this phenomenon will likely shock you.

For the benefit of random-girl-from-Florida, who has likely never encountered this local oddity, I will explain:

It's more prevalent the closer we get to Pittsburgh, but we do it even in my area: we put French Fries on our salads.

Yes, those kind of French Fries. The fried potato things. On our salad.

I take it, from the reactions of people from Cleveland, Texas, and Minnesota that I've told this to, that this is an odd thing. Not sure why, it's quite tasty. Especially with cheese on the french fries, so it all melts.

Yummy.

One of the three reactions I get is:
1) "That's so strange."
2) "Eww, that's disgusting!"
3) "Oh my God! The Carbs! The Fat! Salads are supposed to be HEALTHY!"

*shrug* It's just tasty to me.

It's quite funny to hear tales of locals from my area who have moved away, and tried to order french fries on salads.

Typically, we just give up, and get a salad with a side of fries.

We also put cole slaw on our hamburgers. :)

Ah well. Intermittent posting will persist for about a week. Expect me to go post-crazy on Sunday, there's been a lot of stuff I haven't had time to properly rant on.

Rock on, kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home